Roulette was not invented yesterday – it dates back to the 18th century. Being present all these years, the game, naturally, produced various interesting stories and many interesting facts revolve around the spinning wheel of roulette, such as tales of most successful and least successful players, then popular opinions about roulette, and some mythical assumptions as well. Here is our selection of some of the most entertaining facts related to roulette.
1. Apart from being officially called Roulette, the spinning wheel game of chance is also known as The Devil’s Game. Various elements contributed to this, one of the strong one being the fact that all numbers on the wheel summed up gives a total of 666. The Number of the Beast, originally from the Bible, is obviously related to the Devil and will only bring you bad luck. If you suffer from hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia, maybe you should be careful around roulette wheels. A more probable theory explaining the origin of the name The Devil’s Game, is just a trend established by the community of losing players in the past who claimed that the Devil’s influence should be blamed for their loses.
2. If you ever wanted to know how high in rank does roulette feature on the scale of most popular games available at casinos, here is the answer – it comes in third! Roulette is the third most popular game found in casinos. Which are the two games more popular among casino players? Only slot machines and Craps interest customers more than Roulette.
3. For a long time roulette was considered a men-only game. It was indeed dominated by men in the beginning, but the popular belief remained to this day. The reality of the matter is that women enjoy watching the wheel spin just as much as men. According to statistics, the men – women ration is pretty much split even. To be precise, 46% of roulette players are, in fact, female.
4. There is a variation of the game called California Roulette. This version was designed to meet the requirements of peculiar California state gambling laws, where the only method of generating game results has to be through a deck of cards. This way, playing cards are used to pick winning numbers instead of slots.
5. Early American versions of roulette were different in a few ways than the one we know today. First of all, there were 28 numbers, opposed to todays 36, and the wheel had a zero, a double zero and another pocket called the Eagle slot. The symbol of American liberty wasn’t as popular as one might think, as it provided a bigger house edge for the casino and made players lose more. Despite being operative during a short period of time, roulette wheels containing the Eagle slot are now very valuable among collectors, since they are so rare.
6. In case you didn’t know, you are allowed to take notes while playing roulette at a casino. However, paper and pen only. Devices along the likes of cell phones are not allowed and you will probably be asked to leave the table when seen using any kind of an electronic device. But scribble all you want if that makes you more comfortable, as long as you do it on a legit piece of paper with a regular pen.
We hope you enjoyed our fun facts related to roulette. If you are new to the game see our page on how to play roulette then get started playing online. We recommend checking out some live dealer casinos to play live dealer roulette. Live dealer roulette lets you play online at a brick and mortar casino. It is the perfect combination of online and offline casino play.